Monday, October 20, 2008

Shuster: Why Isn’t John McCain Denouncing Leonore Annenberg?

Firedoglake » Shuster: Why Isn’t John McCain Denouncing Leonore Annenberg?
Former Dick Cheney henchperson Jennifer Millerwise-Dyck was on MSNBC with David Shuster, promoting the idea that Bill Ayers is a dangerous terrorist and Obama's association with him shows a lack of character that should disqualify him from office.

SHUSTER: If it is a judgment issue, then I wonder if you will take this opportunity to publicly denounce John McCain for saying that he would make Leonore Annenberg an ambassador. Mrs. Annenberg runs a foundation that funded an education initiative that Bill Ayers worked on.

MILLERWISE: I'm not familiar with this, it's the first time I've heard about it so I'm not going to make any great statements at this moment. But I can tell you....

SHUSTER: Okay, but anybody who is associated with Bill Ayers should be condemned then, right?

MILLERWISE: Well I think anybody who says that...who started their political campaign in the guy's living room, an unrepentant domestic terrorist who in 2001 said he wish he would've bombed more. I think it's an important issue that the American people need to be aware of as they look at who they want their next president to be.

SHUSTER: I understand, but as far as somebody who gives millions of dollars to that very foundation, to help Bill Ayers after 2001, they should be kept from an ambassadorship, right?

MILLERWISE: Again, this is the first I've ever heard about this issue, I wish you would have brought it up before I came on the air and I would have been happy to look into it but I'm not familiar with it so there's not much I'm going to be able to say on it.

Millerwise can't say much because there's nothing to say. By the internal logic of the McCain argument (such as it is), anybody who associates with Ayers has questionable judgment and doesn't love America. Yet when McCain released a list of 100 ambassadors who had endorsed him, Leonore Annenberg's name was at the top.

No comments: