Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ana Dubey: MY HOLIDAY WITH JOHN McCAIN

LIVING WITH WAR TODAY

(This shocking
account was written by Ana Dubey, who has a PhD in psychology and has a
private practice in San Francisco. Ana's husband is currently a
Managing Director of a private equity firm in the Bay Area. Ana and her
husband are not political activists and don't have any personal ax to
grind. In fact, in writing this account of her experience with John
McCain, Ana is acting outside of her own economic self-interest as she
and her husband are among the top 3-5% of our population who would
benefit from the McCain tax/economic policies.)



[Needless to say I was irritated at his large ego and his rude behavior towards his wife and other women, but decided he must have some redeeming qualities as he had adopted a handicapped child from Bangladesh. I asked him about this one day, and his response was shocking: "Oh, that was Cindy's idea - I didn't have anything to do with it. She just went and adopted this thing without even asking me. You can't imagine how people stare when I wheel this ugly, black thing around in a shopping cart in Arizona. No, it wasn't my idea at all."
I actively avoided McCain after that, but unfortunately one day he engaged me in a political discussion which soon got us on the topic of the active US bombing of Iraq at that time. I was shocked when he said, "If I was in charge, I would nuke Iraq to teach them a lesson." Given McCain's personal experience with the horrors of war, I had expected a more balanced point of view. I commented on the tragic consequences of the nuclear attacks on Japan during WWII - but no, he was not to be dissuaded. He went on to say that if it was up to him he would have dropped many more nuclear bombs on Japan. I rapidly extricated myself from this conversation as I could tell that his experience being tortured as a POW didn't seem to have mellowed out his perspective, but rather had made him more aggressive and vengeful towards the world.]

No comments: