Saturday, January 24, 2009

NJ: S. Harrison mayor steps down over racism

S. Harrison mayor steps down over racism | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/07/2009
Charles Tyson has decided not to serve a third term as mayor of South Harrison Township, saying he and his family have endured death threats and racist vandalism since he became the town's first black mayor two years ago.

At a township reorganization meeting on Monday, the 66-year-old Tyson declined a nomination to continue serving as mayor but agreed to be deputy mayor. The five committee members in the Gloucester County community fill the leadership positions each year from within their ranks.

Tyson said he stepped aside "because of the threats and the personal attacks, and the fact that I don't want to put my family, my wife, and my wife's family through this."

"It's time. I'll continue to serve the residents, but not as mayor," he said....

No comments: